Thursday 29 March 2007

Sarung Cempedak or Cempedak Long in Hokkien...A tip from mom

It was on one of those slow, hot Sunday afternoon when I found myself curled up in my family couch, mesmerized by the rhythmic overhead fan and pondering on what to write for my first blog... when mom, who had been swatting flies the whole day long from her beloved kopi-o, suddenly and inexplicably, commented that it’s such an eyesore seeing someone in Cempedak Long or Sarung Cempedak….My! What a way to describe a dress sense!

It seems that when the cempedak begins to ripe, the planters have to wrap each of these heavenly fruit in a casing or a ‘sarung’ made of palm leaves. The fruit will continue to grow while the ‘sarung’ stays the same and eventually, there comes a time when the fruit outgrows the sarung.

And so, if someone were to say you look like a Cempedak Long, it is really not so flattering as it literally means your clothes are bursting at the seams! So beware!

Welcome to my 1st blog...









1 comment:

www.punnymemories.wordpress.com said...

So refreshing to chance upon you "Cempedak Long" post ! Seldom hear people use this term anymore. Sorry I am 11 years late